We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Vegan CRU.
Oil-Free Vegan Mayo
Oil-Free Vegan Mayo
Who knew that you could be a cooking oil-free vegan? Man,this has been such a fun addition to my cooking routine. I was actually dreading it, at first, when I began reading the “How Not to Die” book and cookbook.
I was like, “how am I going to saute foods with no cooking oil?” But, it has been no issue at all. I use my homemade veggie broth to saute with!
Store-Bought Vegan Mayo
If you’re like me, the first thing I thought about when going vegan was…MAYO! You can’t mess with my tater salad! LOL
So, I began buying store-bought vegan mayo. First couple of rounds were a fail because the mayo had soy in it.
I finally found a soy/gluten/dairy free mayo…Just Mayo, but it has a lot of oil in it. EEK!
Then, I was making homemade mayo with aquafaba and olive oil for a long time. Then, I learned that cooking oil is just empty calories that we really don’t need.
At this point, I knew that store-bought mayos were going to be a thing of the past for me.
Since I had been making cashew sour cream all this time, I thought…”what if I mix this sour cream with whipped aquafaba to see what we get?”
What happened was pure yumminess!
Now, I know what you’re going to say. You or your child may have a nut allergy or intolerance so having cashew mayo is not going to work for you.
No worrries! I’ve got a hack for you!
To make this recipe nut-free, all you have to do is replace the cashews with sunflower seeds! YAY!
Oil Free Vegan Mayo
- 1/2 cup Cashew Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup cup Aquafaba (juice from canned chickpeas)
- Click on this link to get the Cashew Sour Cream Recipe
- After you have made the cashew sour cream, you will open the can of chickpeas up & drain all of the juice (aquafaba) from that can into a mixing bowl
- With a hand-held mixer or stand mixer, whip the aquafaba until it has peaks, much like meringue. It will look very similar to meringue.
- Then it is time to fold the cashew sour cream into the whipped aquafaba.
- After it is all mixed together nicely, then add it to a clean mason jar. This should last in the fridge for 4-5 days.